Hirudoid Cream may be used to improve the appearance of bruises, sprains, and swelling. This cream inhibits inflammation, relieves pain, and tension in the afflicted region, and shortens the duration of the problem. The cream works by dissolving blood clots and encouraging the blood supply to the skin to reduce bruising.
Hirudoid is used to treat accidental or surgical injuries such as contusions, sprains, and haematomas. For the treatment of scars, Hirudoid assists with loosening scar tissue and the improvement of scars due to injury and surgery. Hirudoid speeds up the healing of bruises, approximately halving healing time. *
* In one study of 10 healthy volunteers, the time it took for 50% of the bruise to be absorbed was 2.1 days for Hirudoid and 4 days for the inactive cream. Larsson B, et al. Thromb Haemost 1985;53(3):343-5.
Hirudoid contains MPS (mucopolysaccharides) which is like the body’s naturally occurring MPS found in the dermis layer of skin. The skin’s healing capability relies on the presence of MPS in the tissue.
MPS has many properties including the promotion of tissue regeneration and reduction of swelling and inflammation. It is in these ways that Hirudoid accelerates the healing time of bruises.
MPS accelerates healing in the following ways:
- Improves blood flow to the area
- Promotes tissue regeneration by increasing collagen and elastin fibres in the connective tissue matrix
- Improves moisturising capacity of the skin by increasing the hyaluronic acid content
- Accelerates the absorption of bruises
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
This results in healing benefits for not only bruises but scars, sprains, and different inflammatory conditions of the veins.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use.